Saturday 27 April 2013

Trance

a) I went to see the movie Trance today. It seemed to be quite a complicated matter going to see this movie, firstly I doesn't think much of Danny Boyle as a director, I usually found everything that he makes as a film boring and derivative whether it is or not. However the subject matter of the movie seemed interesting and the cast of the movie seemed good as well. 
b) To some degree I liked this movie, but the loud thumping soundtrack made me wonder if I was stuck in some building society advert that was trying to be modern, the music took away the feeling of any sort of mystery that the film might present as it went into hypnosis dream worlds and then it appeared to present dream worlds within dreamworlds making no clear destinction about what was supposed to be the real world. 
c) Often this can be an interesting thing such as in films like Brazil, Inception, Last Year at Marienbad, etcetera, but I got lost towards the end and I really wasn't that interested in trying to figure things out, it could be anything and I wasn't really that certain the movie was really worth spending time figuring out afterwards. Some people make movies that are supposed to be confusing and ought to inspire people to have conversations about it to figure it out but sometimes it might be better to steer oneself out of playing along with their games. 
d) The previous movie by Danny Boyle that I saw was the scifi movie Sunshine that was a fair effort but I suddenly realised that it was a reworking of the 1960s movie The Day The Earth Caught Fire and really wasn't impressed by the way that none of the people involved in the movie didn't mention a thing about the film trying to make out that Sunshine was a new movie. However the further into the past Sunshine goes, the better a movie it seems to be. 
e) However if Trance is another reworked ripoff of something, I don't know what it is but it might seem like a better film to remember in five or six years time but in the present time it seems rather annoying. But I definitely had to go and see it.
f) I never saw Trainspotting because I read an article about the hallucination sequences showing how they payed homage to certain movies and I became overcome with the idea of disinterest. Beyond that, the idea of the movie didn't really interest me. I haven't been drawn to the Trainspotting author's work either. The only thing that I have seen and like that came out of someone's interest in Irvine Welsh's work is the Scottish pixie from Chris Cunningham's Playstation advert years ago. Perhaps if I could empathise with Danny Boyle as a person a little more, I might have a different point of view about his movies but I don't and that seems to be that. I think another thing about the movie when it came out, I didn't like the idea of watching a movie full of people with thick Scottish accents.
g) Someone suggested that the reason why they had to show Rosario Dawson's vagina up close on the film screen was to make sure that no one could get to think she was some sort of character like the one played by Jay Davidson in The Crying Game. Well I admit that this isn't a Neil Jordan movie but I really have no idea what goes on in Boyle's movies, I hardly ever watch them and there's Cillian Murphy who was in Sunshine by Danny Boyle who went off to play a transgendered person in Neil Jordan's movie Breakfast on Pluto so you can never tell what's going on in the background of the world of these films. One might wonder at what the point of such exposure was and whether it would be blurred over or trimmed out in the DVD and Blu-Ray
h) Days later the story fades away and strange random blurred images remain in the mind which is actually a good feeling

No comments:

Post a Comment