Saturday 6 October 2012

The dream seed for Sinister

leading from


The opening shot from Sinister

C Robert Cargill had watched the movie The Ring (the American remake by Gore Verbinski ) and then he stayed up all night writing before taking a short nap before he continued with the rest of the day, and as soon as he put his head on the pillow, he dream of going into his attic and there he finds a box of Super 8 films, He spools one of them onto his projector and watches it and woke up terrified. The image haunted him for years and he thought that there had to be a good horror movie and soon crafted a story around it and as well as the whole mythology of Sinister. And so the first film that appeared in the dream becomes the opening shot for Sinister.

Sources
  1. Starburst: What was the inspiration for the film?

    C. Robert Cargill: A nightmare. I had seen The Ring and stayed up all night working, and took a short nap. As soon as my head hits the pillow I’m dreaming of going into my attic and I find a box of 8mm films. I spool it on to the projector and the first image is the opening shot of Sinister. That image haunted me for years, and I thought that there’s got to be a good story in there. (source:http://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/interviews/4580-interview-c-robert-cargill-author-of-dreams-and-shadows) 
  2. Craveonline: What was the initial germ of the idea that you were having trouble with?
    C. Robert Cargill: I had a nightmare. I had gone to see The Ring, and I’d stayed up all night writing, so I was exhausted, and I was like, you know, I’m going to take a little nap before the rest of my day, after seeing this scary, scary, terrifying movie. And then sure enough I had this horrifying dream of going up into my attic, finding a box of Super 8 films, spooling one up, and it was the opening scene from the movie. (source: http://www.craveonline.com/film/interviews/205257-horrific-images-scott-derrickson-and-c-robert-cargill-on-sinister) 
  3. Heyuguys: What was your first image? First spark.

    C. Robert Cargill: It came from a nightmare. I made a terrible mistake and watched The Ring before I went to sleep. I had a nightmare about going into my attic and there is a box of Super 8 film I thread the projector and I turn it on and what I see is the opening shot of the film.
    So I wake up terrified and that image haunted me for years and I knew I had to do something with it. So I crafted the story around and created the mythology of Sinister. What’s really interesting is people are telling me they have nightmares and that says something about the art – that I’ve taken this nightmare and caused other people to have the same nightmare. That’s such a cool concept.

    (http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/it-started-with-a-dream-interview-sinister-with-writer-c-robert-cargill-exclusive-clip/)
  4. Love Horror: Where did you come up with the amazing, original idea?
    C. Robert Cargill: A nightmare, believe it or not. I had a terrible dream after seeing THE RING. I was climbing into my attic when I saw a box with Super 8 films and a projector in it. I spooled up the first film and it was the opening image of SINISTER. That nightmare stuck with me for a while and eventually I realized it might make a for a pretty good horror movie. (source http://lovehorror.co.uk/interview-with-sinister-writer-c-robert-cargill)
  5. Examiner:Where did you guys get the concept of the film from?
    C. Robert Cargill: It came from a nightmare. I have just came from seeing The Ring and when I got home and slept, I had a dream that I went into my attic and found that box of Super 8 films and I spooled one onto the projector and saw the opening shot of this movie. It terrified me for a long time and I thought “Well, if it scares you, than there might be a good movie in it.” I kicked it around for several years until I found the story and then I pitched it to Scott. (http://www.examiner.com/article/scott-derrickson-and-c-robert-cargill-create-a-horrific-and-sinister-film)
  6. @AlexMcNeill93: What inspired the premise and ideas behind Sinister? #SeeSinister

    C. Robert Cargill: I had a nightmare about finding the box of movies in my attic, including the opening shot of the film. Freaked me the out.

    @johnnydonaldson: #SeeSinister looks really scary. We need more genuinely scary. Where idea 4 it come from?

    C. Robert Cargill: Had a nightmare after watching THE RING, thought it would make a good movie and worked on a story for it.
    (source: http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/168057-transcript-last-nights-sinister-twitter-qaa)
  7. Zimbio: Where did you get the idea for SINISTER?
    C. Robert Cargill: I had a terrible dream after seeing THE RING. I was climbing into my attic when I saw a box with Super 8 films and a projector in it. I spooled up the first film and it was the opening image of SINISTER. That nightmare stuck with me for a while and eventually I realized it might make a for a pretty good horror movie.
    (http://www.zimbio.com/C.+Robert+Cargill/articles/tR9gf7i8WGB/SIX+BEST+C+Robert+Cargill) 
  8. Moviemuser: Where did the idea for Sinister come from?

    C. Robert Cargill: I had a terrible dream after seeing THE RING. I was climbing into my attic when I saw a box with Super 8 films and a projector in it. I spooled up the first film and it was the opening image of SINISTER. That nightmare stuck with me for a while and eventually I realised it might make a for a pretty good horror movie.
    (http://www.moviemuser.co.uk/features/10339/c-robert-cargill-interview.aspx)
  9. Screengreek:  So where did the idea for Sinister come from?

    C. Robert Cargill: A nightmare I had, if you’ll believe that. I had a terrible dream after seeing The Ring. I was climbing into my attic when I saw a box with Super 8 films and a projector in it. I spooled up the first film and it was the opening image of Sinister. That nightmare stuck with me for a while and eventually I realized it might make a for a pretty good horror movie.
    (http://www.screengeek.co.uk/features/article/interview-sinister-writer-c-robert-cargill)

No comments:

Post a Comment